Directions for submission biociden

In the directions for submission you find common information about how to send an application for biocides. For a more specific instruction see the specific application types for biocides.

Requirements authorisation holder

Transitional legislation AND the Regulation (EC) no 528/2012

How to submit an application

How an application should be sent depends on the status of the active substance. If the active substance is approved under Regulation (EC) no 528/2012, you must submit the applications and notifications to ECHA and the national authorities by R4BP. If the active substance isn’t still approved under the Regulation than National rules apply. In this case you can have the products assessed under transitional law, so you can send the Ctgb application form as usual to Ctgb. For a more specific instruction see the specific application types for biocides.


The language for communication or correspondence with Ctgb is English or Dutch. The decisions of the Ctgb however are written in Dutch. The working language for the preparation and assessment of registration reports is English. This to facilitate the exchange of evaluations between the EU Member States. The language in objection and appeal procedure however is Dutch.

Requirements authorisation holder

The authorisation holder must be established within the European Union.

Product names

The name of a biocidal product must not be confusing for the consumer. A few criteria for this are:

  • the name of the product must not be confusing;
  • the pronounced name of the product must not be confusing;
  • the name must not cause confusion about the composition of the product;
  • the name of the product shall not be misleading with regard to the hazards/risks of the product;
  • there must be a clear distinction between the product name and the regular name of the active substances or how the actives substance works.

In case of doubt, the Board takes a decision. This information can be found in the Goverment gazette: Staatscourant 2016, nr 54661 (only in Dutch).

Transitional legislation

Most applications (see exceptions below) must been send by normal post to Ctgb because we need an original signature the application form and the Letter of Access must be a paper version. The post address is:

College voor de Toelating van gewasbeschermingsmiddelen en biociden (Ctgb)
PO Box 8030
6710 AA EDE
The Netherlands

Other information (for example attachments) must be submitted at once, on DVD / CD. Label the CD-ROM/DVD with the name of the product and, if known, the application number and application type (for example 20140122 TB). Make sure that the individual files have logical names. For example: “submission letter, only if relevant”, “application form”, “legal conditions for use (WG)”. We accept Open format file but prefer Word files.

Administrative and minor applications:

For administrative applications and the following applications for minor changes Form AB, PAB, W, VIB, EXP, Immediate notification by authorisation holder, preferably send the application by e-mail. We don’t need a paper version. Please mention on the subject line of the e-mail the application type, product/active substance name and company name. Make sure the individual files have logical names. For example: “application form’’, “legal conditions for use/WG”. Please don’t submit a cover letter:  You will mention the changes on the application form clearly. If necessary, you can give an explanation in an appendix. In this case: Refer on the application form to the appendix.

For a more specific instruction see the specific application types for biocides.

More names for one product

If you want to bring a exactly the same product under a different name on the market, you can do this by applying for a derived trade permit. In this case you become a new authorisation number for this product.  Please realize; also for a derived permit you have to pay also the annual fee. Do you want to change the authorisation (for example the labelling) first the original authorisation must change.

Regulation (EC) no 528/2012

Requirements Article 95

If you intend to send an application for an authorisation, prolongation or if you want to change an authorisation, please always check whether the application meets Article 95 of Regulation 528/2012.
A biocidal product can be sold on the EU market only if the manufacturer or supplier of the relevant substance in the biocidal product, or the manufacturer or supplier of the biocidal product for the applicable product type, is included on the Article 95 list of the Biocidal Products Regulation.
Non-compliance with Article 95 means that the Ctgb will not grant a new authorisation or an extension, amendment or renewal of an existing authorisation. 

SPC and SPC editor

See for information the page on Summary of Product Characteristics (SPC) and the SPC editor.

More names for one product

Under the Regulation there are more possibilities to bring a product on the market with more names:

  • applying for a second name (or third, fourth… and so on)
    Application for a second name must be submitted by sending an NA-ADC application to R4BP. In this case you are allowed to bring the product on the market under two different names, and the same authorisation number. In this case you have to pay the annual fee only for one product.
  • applying for a Same Biocidal Product
    In this case you become a new authorisation number for this product. Please realize; for a Same Biocidal Product you will be charged also with the annual fee.
  • applying for a product family
    Under the Biocides Regulation, it is possible to admit multiple products under a single entry. This is important for producers, to facilitate market access and reduce administrative burdens. For authorisations based on the same active ingredient(s), the regulation describes the concept of the ‘biocidal product family’.

Fees and charges

The application costs are specified in the Ctgb Tariffs Decree. The application will not be taken into consideration until the application form has been received and the application fee has been paid. When the application is not accepted for consideration or when it is no longer being considered or when it is rejected, the application fee will not be refunded.

Payment method

Once your application has been received by the Ctgb, you will receive a confirmation letter with an invoice. You do not pay the fee until after you have received the confirmation letter with invoice. As a rule we only start processing your application once we know that the fee has been paid.

Direct debit payment of invoices

The Ctgb encourages applicants to arrange direct debit payment of your Ctgb invoices. This payment uses the European successor to the national direct debit system: Euro direct debit (Euro-incasso). By arranging direct debit payment of your invoices, you no longer have to worry about timely payment, and we reduce your administrative burden. You still maintain control of your own bank account, and you can cancel direct debits beforehand or reverse the payment afterwards.

If you would like to pay your Ctgb invoices using European direct debit (Euro-incasso), please contact the Finance & Control department. We will then go through the procedural steps with you and prepare the necessary contracts.

See our page on Tariffs for specific information about our fees.