To begin with, we refer consumers to the advice given by National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) to prevent infection with the coronavirus.
More hand sanitisers and disinfectants for surfases allowed for professional use against coronavirus
The Ministry of Public Health, Welfare and Sport (VWS) and the Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management (I&W) decided to grant a temporary exemption for the professional use (in health care) of hand sanitisers (PT01) and disinfectants for surfases (PT02) that do not have a virus claim, so they can be used against the coronavirus. These measures are taking to prevent the imminent shortage of disinfectants at health care institutions.
Professional users in the healthcare may use the following hand sanitisers against the coronavirus:
- Authorised hand sanitisers for professional use that have a virus claim and may be used according to the Legal Conditions for Use and the Directions for Use; see list 1 (in Dutch) of the hand sanitisers for professional use.
- Authorised hand sanitisers for professional use that do not have a virus claim may still be used against the coronavirus on clean hands by rubbing the hands with the fluid product for at least 60 seconds; see list 2 (in Dutch) of the hand sanitisers for professional use.
- Two hand sanitisers manufactured according to WHO formulations; one product based on ethanol and one based on 2-propanol (isopropyl alcohol). Both products are intended for use by professional health care providers;
see the Temporary exemption (in Dutch) for hand disinfection WHO formulations COVID-19; dated 19 March 2020
- Non-authorised hand sanitisers manufactured by pharmacies in accordance with the instructions (in English) in the Hand sanitisers for professional use memorandum from the Laboratory of Dutch Pharmacists (LNA) of the Royal Dutch Pharmacists Association (KNMP);
see the Temporary exemption (in Dutch) for hand disinfection for pharmacies COVID-19 2020 dated 24 March 2020.
Professional users in the healthcare may also use authorised disinfectants for surfaces (PT02) based on the following active substances against the coronavirus:
- Sodium hypochlorite
- Sodium dichloroisocyanurate
See Temporary exemption (in Dutch) for disinfectants for surfaces COVID-19 2020.
See the list with all disinfectants for surfase (PT02) for professional use only.