Types of application
We distinguish various types of applications for plant protection products. These can be divided into three categories:
- Applications for products
- Applications for substances
- Applications for derivation of the maximum residue level (MRL)
- Procedure zonal application
- Zonale Application NL RMS
- Zonal Application Netherlands CMS
- Application for mutual recognition
- Comparative assessment
- Product Renewals (NL zRMS and NL=CMS)
- Change product authorisation
- Minor or administrative changes
- Minor change to legal instructions for use
- Minor uses
1. Applications for products
A plant protection product is a product with one or more active substances. We distinguish 4 types of applications in this category:
Authorisation is requested directly for a European zone. The application will be assessed in its entirety by a single Member State: the zonal rapporteur. During the assessment period, the other Member States in the zone can comment on the assessment of the zonal rapporteur. Learn more about the interzonal application.
If a product has already been authorised in one EU Member State, applicants can request authorisation in other Member States by means of an application for mutual recognition.
The Netherlands distinguishes 4 scenarios for requesting an authorisation for minor uses.
Re-registration under transitional legislation
Some applications for re-registration of plant protection products are still being processed under the old legislation: transitional legislation.
2. Applications for substances
Besides applications for products, applications can also be submitted for an active substance. We distinguish 2 types of applications in this category:
Application for active substance
The application for an active substance takes place at the European level; all Member States are involved in this process. When these substances are authorised at the European level, they can be used in plant protection products. Find out more on the application and assessment procedure for active substances.
Application for other substances
This concerns applications for active substances with a low risk, co-formulants, safeners and synergists, and adjuvants. Find out how the assessment of these substances takes place and how to apply.
3. Application for derivation of Maximum Residue Level (MRL)
A product authorisation can be granted only if an MRL has been published in the EU that covers the requested use. Read more